Tooth extractions are often only performed by our dentist in Willow Park if there is no alternative option. A tooth extraction is a procedure whereby a tooth is removed from its socket. If you need tooth extractions near you, it is the best option to alleviate your pain and protect your oral health. So, in what circumstances are tooth extractions warranted? Read more to find out.
Types of Tooth Extractions
At Nexa Dental, our dental professionals perform two types of tooth extractions:
- Simple extractions: these are performed on teeth that are visible above the gum line, and the procedure only requires a local anesthetic administered by our dentist near you.
- Surgical extractions: these are performed on teeth that are below the gum line, such as impacted wisdom teeth. Most of the time, these extractions are performed by oral surgeons and require that an incision is made in the gum to remove the tooth.
Reasons for Tooth Extractions
As mentioned above, it is in your best interest to keep your natural teeth in your mouth for as long as possible, so our dentist will only recommend that you get tooth extractions in Willow Park as a last resort. Here are some scenarios that would potentially warrant getting a tooth extraction:
- Severe tooth decay: if tooth decay penetrates the protective layer of enamel and reaches the centre of your tooth, it causes infection. In these cases, root canal therapy can potentially save the tooth; however, if the infection is severe enough and our dentist is unsure if they could appropriately treat it, they will recommend tooth extractions.
- Overcrowded teeth: many individuals have the issue of overcrowding in their mouths, leaving them with misaligned and crooked teeth. There are many orthodontic treatments available for overcrowding. However, most of them require the extraction of one or more teeth to make room in the jaw for the remaining teeth to realign.
- Periodontal disease: also known as gum disease, periodontal disease attacks the gums and bone underneath. Periodontal disease is completely preventable by maintaining an excellent oral hygiene routine and visiting Nexa Dental for routine professional cleanings and exams at least once every six months; however, it can loosen your teeth when it progresses, necessitating tooth extractions.
Besides the above, tooth extractions are also often deemed necessary to remove impacted wisdom teeth or teeth that have been severely damaged in an accident.
In the case of an accidental injury, our dentist will make every possible effort to preserve your tooth if possible. In instances where a tooth is fractured or has been knocked out, there is still a possibility that our team of dental professionals will be able to save it if you reach us in ample time.
Wisdom teeth are perhaps the only teeth that most dentists will recommend removing without hesitation. This is because when left alone, wisdom teeth can cause multiple oral health concerns, so extracting them is an appropriate preventative measure.
If your dentist has recommended that you get tooth extractions, you can rest assured that it is the best option for your oral health. Our dentist will thoroughly consider all of your options before suggesting a tooth extraction as the best way to preserve your oral health. If you would like to know more about the process, our team is happy to answer any of your questions or concerns; please contact us at Nexa Dental and book a consultation today!